I'm now sitting in my bedroom of about thirteen years pondering my trip which will begin in two days and seven hours. I'm not pondering the important things, mind you. I think I'm prepared. I have my traveler's checks, gifts for my host family, brand new duffle bag thing, shots and pills. That should be enough I suppose. What my mind is wondering about is how much will change while I'm gone, and most importantly how much I will change. My family and I went to this ice cream shop around my house run by this Italian guy who apparently has "African Fever" (it took a while to get past translation issues and agree on that term, FYI), and he kept telling me over and over "you will be changed, for the good mind you, but you will be changed." Right now I have no idea what this will mean for me, but I feel like it's something I've been led to for a long time. For about two years the dark mysterious continent has loomed in the back of my mind, a fairytale, somewhere I would love to go, something I would love to explore. And here it is. Two days away. Jeez, I can't really think through it all right now, but the bottom line is this is actually happening, I'm actually going, and, honestly, I think I'm actually prepared for what is in store for me over the next few months. That's really the only preparation that matters.
right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We know you will have a wonderul trip...but we will miss you. Proud of you...Have a great trip! Love, Mom
Hey Brandon,
Have a great trip. It is so cool that your are able to visit other countries and even cooler when you are able to make a positive impact on someone less fortunate. Have fun and stay safe.
Love Uncle Paul
Post a Comment