Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Greetings family and friends!

I'm so sorry about the delayed blogging. Internet in Ethiopia is very finicky and I'm emailing this to a friend to update the blog. So don't think I haven't been trying!

I am currently in beautiful, rustic, tree-filled, mountainous Lalibela, home of the famous rock-hewn churches from a long freaking time ago. A few days ago I was pulled up a mountain by a rope and an unusually large number of Ethiopian monks into the sacred Debra Damo monastery. It was absolutely breathtaking, an entire town on top of a mountain. I'll post pictures when I can, but for now you'll have to take my word that it's indescribable. Is that cool?

I was also within shouting distance of the building in St. Mary of Zion Cathedral where the ark of the covenant is supposably held. We couldn't help but hum the Indianan Jones theme and we may have offended a priest or two...but not much.

I've missed home a lot more than I thought I would and it, well, surprised me. I've been saved by my iPod every night because I can listen to songs that take me back to fields under stars, rock quarries and rope swings, and conversations on back porches. Despite all this beauty I'm seeing and all that I'm experiencing I miss my friends and my home. That's not to say I'm not enjoying my time here. I can say without doubt that this trip has been the best few months of my life so far, partly because it has shown me how much of my life at home I love and cherish.

Well, the sunset over these gorgeous mountains is calling my name. Again, no promises as to my next post but know that I'm keeping all of you in my mind as I wander through this ancient land.

Peace,
Brandon

No comments: